Find a Job
Find a Job
- Search All Jobs
- Send us your Details
- Contact Our Specialist Teams
- Career Support
- Contractor & Temp Resources
- Coming To NZ / Going Overseas
- Candidate Salary Checker
- Skills Profiles
Finding A Job - Where Do I Start?
The following questions are designed to help with your thinking around the ideal next role for you and in building a framework for your personal marketing plan:
A good starting point for this particular reflection is: "If someone was calling me about the perfect employment opportunity, what would they be telling me about/what would I hear them saying about it?"
Where to work?
- You decide where you are willing to work!
- Are you willing to move to another city, or stay where you are?
- Are you willing to use public transport or drive a car?
- Are you willing to work within, say 10km, 20km or 30km from home?
- City? Suburbs?
- Bus route? Train line?
What type of work?
- You decide what work you want to do!
- This may be the time to change direction.
- Ever had a dream?
- Part time or full time?
- Permanent or contract?
- Name the type of work that you would be happy to do or at least think about.
- Don't forget a hobby or something else that you love to do that could be turned into a business!
What type of job?
- Organisations often title similar roles very differently. For example, in one company a role may be called Financial Controller and in another company it may be called Finance Manager. Or a Sales Director in one company may be called a General Sales Manager in another. Don't be put off by the title of the role. Look more closely at the content - what will you be doing on a day-to-day basis in this role? This will give you a good idea of the 'level' of the role. There are lots of different jobs in most organisations. You won't want to do all those jobs so think about what you will spend your time doing.
- Name the jobs that you would be happy to do or at least think about. Give a bit more detail this time.
What type of business?
- Decide what type of business you want to work in.
- Small, medium, large?
- Public/private ownership?
- Start-up or established?
- One branch or multi-branches?
- Company culture?
- Industry (or any industries you would/wouldn't work in)?
- Name the types of businesses you may like to work in or at least think about. If you need more ideas, use the internet to do some research or talk with your friends about what they like/dislike in the organisations they work for.
Your target market?
- Put all this together and you've got your target market - a list of companies you want to talk to, places to visit and types of work you really want to do!
- Very often, you can choose who you want to work for. Who are the good employers? Is there an organisation you